Set in the upper reaches of the Motithang area, the 16-suite Lodge of Amankora Thimphu is built in the style of a traditional dzong fortress. Within reach of the capital’s shops and sights, the lodge remains a secluded retreat from which to explore both all the city has to offer and the wild Himalayan landscape. Amenities include king-size beds, traditional wood-burning stoves and banquette window-seats, while bathrooms feature terrazzo-clad bathtubs, twin vanities, a separate shower and toilet. Hiking and cycling are arguably the best ways to explore the incredible landscape, and every lodge offers an exhaustive list of options and routes. In addition, guests will be given a ‘top ten’ list of experiences to try in each locality.
• Spa facilities include three treatments rooms and a steam room
• Thimphu’s signature treatment is a hot-oil Ayurvedic head massage
• The Dining Room offers views of the nearby stream and surrounding forest
• Soaring ceilings and wood panelled walls complement an outdoor dining deck
• Take an archery lesson and discover more about Bhutan’s national sport
• Enjoy a private lecture on Bhutan and Buddhism with the Mynak Rinpoche